Pathologist Assistant - Laboratory (Reference Number 15-OPSEU-018)
Centenary Campus (with cross site responsibilities) - Casual
The best at what we do. Rouge Valley Health System is an innovative leader committed to delivering the best patient/family experience. Focused on improving the health of our community, we are committed to learning, innovation and providing the best patient care experience for our patients and their families. Rouge Valley Health System is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA, by making appropriate accommodations available throughout the selection and assessment process. If you require accommodation, please inform our Human Resources staff to ensure your equal participation. Join our team as we meet the needs of our growing communities.
Rouge Valley's Lean approach to continuous improvement puts our patients first in everything we do. Through our Lean philosophy, Rouge Valley respects our staff's talents, skills and diversity and seeks to optimize value for patients. Help us lead transformation in health care. Our commitment to providing the best patient care and an effective workplace has resulted in many well-earned awards by our team of staff, physicians and volunteers: CBC's The Fifth Estate “A” rating, based on research by the Canadian Institute for Health Information and in 2013; Exemplary standing, the top rating from national hospital surveyors by Accreditation Canada.
The Pathologist’s assistant will work under the supervision of the Pathologists and the Medical Director. The pathologist assistant will report to the laboratory manager for performance discipline, scheduling or other HR related issues. The Pathologist Assistant is responsible for describing and dictating the gross findings of specimens using the available protocol, assisting with autopsies, taking representative sections for histological processes and assisting and performing ancillary special procedures on specimens and organs.
- Baccalaureate Degree with advanced level courses in anatomy and physiology or Health Care professional with experience in Histopathology.
- Undergraduate University degree an asset
- Prior experience as a Pathologist Assistant preferred
- Flexibility to work both independently and as a direct assistant to the Pathologist
- Practical use of computer and computer assisted technology
- Working knowledge of the Body Substance Precautions and good lab hygiene
- Working knowledge of safe chemical handling, storage protocols and emergency spill procedures
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong observation skills and exceptional attention to details
- Cross functional duties within laboratory as required
- Demonstrated pattern of good attendance
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to Rouge Valley's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area.
- Exposure to Lean principles, an understanding of methodologies and tools and a commitment to the use of these in support of providing the best healthcare experience possible to our patients
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers and other members of the community and public.
Reference #: 15-OPSEU-018