Scarborough and Rouge Hospital is committed to individual privacy and to protecting your personal health information. We abide by internationally recognized information practices and legislation to ensure that your information remains confidential and secure.
See information on public disclosures.
Effective December 1, 2016, the current Rouge Valley Health System - Ajax and Pickering site will become part of Lakeridge Health. This notice is intended to inform you of how records of personal health information will be managed while protecting your privacy and ensuring that your care providers have timely access to your records.
Effective December 1, 2016:
- Lakeridge Health will assume custody of all records of personal health information previously under the custody of Rouge Valley Health System - Ajax and Pickering site. This includes hardcopy and paper records and all electronic records.
- All hardcopy or paper records at the Ajax and Pickering site will remain in their current locations and be maintained by Lakeridge Health.
- Access to all electronic records will remain in place and be provided to those staff and physicians of Rouge Valley Health System and Lakeridge Health as required for the purposes of care or as permitted by law.
- Requests for copies or access to records of personal health information will continue to be directed to the Health Information Management departments at each respective site. To request access to your information contact the Health Information Management Department through our Release of Information (ROI) Specialists:
- Oshawa/Whitby/Bowmanville/Port Perry: 905-576-8711 ext. 4174
- Ajax/Pickering: 905-683-2320 ext. 1488
- Privacy concerns for the Ajax and Pickering site can be directed to the Lakeridge Health Privacy Office at 905-576-8711 ext. 4367 or 3822.
- Privacy concerns for the Centenary site can be directed to the Privacy Office at 416-284-8131 ext. 7782.
Please contact the respective Privacy Offices for more information.
As a patient, you have the right to:
See and ask for a copy of your health information;
Ask us to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete health information;
Ask us for a list of how we use or share health information;
Be told if your information is lost, stolen or shared with someone without authorization; and
Change your mind if you have previously given us permission to use or share your health information.
Collecting and sharing information
We may collect, use and share your health information for the following reasons:
To provide you with health care;
To communicate with or consult with other health care providers;
For payment-related purposes (including OHIP, WSIB, private insurance companies and others);
To plan, manage and administer hospital programs and services;
For research (with Research Ethics Board approval);
For statistical and other kinds of reporting obligations;
For fundraising activities; and
For other purposes as permitted or required by law.
Your health information is stored in accordance with RVHS retention policies and as required by law. Otherwise it is destroyed, erased, or made anonymous.
Ontario Laboratories Information System
We are now connected to the Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS), an electronic system that can store and share laboratory requisitions and test results digitally. Learn more.
Questions or complaints
Centenary Privacy Office
Phone: 416-284-8131, ext. 7782
Attn: Privacy Contact Person
Scarborough and Rouge Hospital
2867 Ellesmere Road
Toronto, ON M1E 4B9
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
Phone: 416-326-3333 or toll-free at 1-800-387-0073