SRH to host second annual Caregiver Education Forum
May 17, 2018 – Caring for someone with dementia can feel stressful and isolating at times. With expert seniors’ and mental health teams, SRH is uniquely positioned to support caregivers and will be hosting the second annual Caregiver Education Forum with a focus on Increasing Social Connectedness, on Thursday, May 31.
Caregivers are invited to attend an engaging and informative afternoon featuring talks by dementia experts and information booths run by community partners. Guests will have the opportunity to discuss and learn about:
- Reducing caregiver stress
- Reducing social isolation among caregivers
- Care navigation
- Self-care activities (chair yoga/mindfulness by Jennifer Hicks, Nia Fitness Instructor)
- Resources in the community
It is free to attend, however space is limited so guests are encouraged to register in advance. Door prizes are available. Regular parking fees apply.
Thursday, May 31, 2018 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Scarborough and Rouge Hospital – Birchmount site
Level 1, Irene Stickland Centre
3030 Birchmount Rd., Scarborough
Participating organizations include:
- The ENRICHES Initiative/Collaborative (Alzheimer Society of Toronto, Canadian Mental Health Association, Sinai Health System –Reitman Centre, WoodGreen Community Services, North York Community House)
- Scarborough and Rouge Hospital
- Home Instead Senior Care*
- Residence Suites by the Lake**
- Geriatric Assessment and intervention Network (GAIN) clinic
- Yee Hong Centre for Geriatric Care
- Laipac Technology Inc./MedicAlert
- Central East Local Health Integration Network
- MediWise Health Care
- Philip Lifeline
- Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association
- TransCare Community Support Services
*Light lunch is generously provided by Home Instead, along with tote bags when guests arrive at the event.
**Residence Suites by the Lake is generously providing snacks, drinks, and coffee.