Welcome to our history page.
Rouge Valley Health System (RVHS) has been delivering health care to the communities of Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax and Whitby since we were formed in 1998, when the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care amalgamated Centenary Health Centre and the Ajax and Pickering General Hospital. The primary purpose of establishing RVHS was to provide the regions of east Toronto and west Durham with more effective and comprehensive health services — a goal that is always a top priority for us.
(*Read about our current hospital services and activity level on our facts page. Of note, in 2009, the provincial government's Central East Local Health Integration Network designated RVHS as the regional centre for cardiac care in the Durham and Scarborough areas.)
Before joining together, the pre-existing hospital campuses saw several decades of growth and change. Here is a look at their history.
Rouge Valley Ajax and Pickering
1954: Through community fundraising efforts, the hospital is opened. It is a single wooden building with 38 beds and 12 bassinets.
1958: A brick addition to the hospital is built that increases capacity to 50 beds.
1964: A new four-storey brick building is opened replaces the older wooden structure, which is demolished. The new has 127 acute-care beds and 24 bassinets.
1976: An addition is added to the north side of the brick building to accommodate expanded outpatient services.
1994: A new four-storey west wing is opened
- 2008-2011: Massive redevelopment of the emergency department, new lab, new diagnostic testing areas and more as part of $94.4 million, 140,000 square feet of new and renovated space.
- 2011: New state-of-the art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is installed.
Rouge Valley Centenary
1963: Planning starts for a new hospital in the community of Scarborough.
1967: After several years of development, the new hospital opens as a 15-floor tower with 41 doctors on staff.
1986: The new four-storey Margaret Birch Wing is opened. This addition includes continuing care and rehabilitation, new emergency department, intensive care unit, coronary care unit and upgrades to diagnostic imaging.
1991: Another addition, “The Court” is opened. Now serving as the front entrance to the hospital, The Court has medical offices and a retail mall.
- 2010: Modern Birthing and Newborn Centre opens.
- 2010: Fast-track cardiac care program, called Code STEMI, is approved by the Central East LHIN.
Download backgrounder on Rouge Valley history: 1954 - 2004